Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Town and a Bar

Dave and I once went to this bar called
The Green Door or The Red Door or something

it was quiet studio-size two-dollar screw-drivers
3 ex-cons sitting at 3 separate stools

I remember this bar

because it was the first time I ever thought I might get stabbed

we finished our drinks and got the hell out of there

The ex-cons silent

I remember this bar

because it reminds me of who I am

a guy afraid of getting stabbed

while some ex-cons sit silent

thinking of legitimate jobs

Not too long after that
the mayor of the town that bar was in got arrested

I think it was embezzlement

She’s probably out by now

and the ex-cons are probably back in

or worse

working legitimate jobs

I don’t care much for Cicero, Illinois

© 2008 Lee Kitzis

No comments: