Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Best Job on the Planet

I wake up at 3 p.m.
avoiding all the daytime judge shows
with just enough time for a cup of coffee and a quick peek
at the women in scarves at the local produce stand
before the reruns

and I have no problem with taking a beer shit
as the world rages outside

disappointment in coffee bars
elation in drugstores
murder stocks a person of the week

Mark bought the good kind of toilet paper
double-roll with aloe
that’s the great part about having another drunk as a roommate
always good toilet paper

I call in
to file for more unemployment
cook brussel sprouts
check baseball trades
and crack an Old Style

I’ll get a job when I have to start using the store brand

that’s about the only literary advice I can give

© 2008 Lee Kitzis

No comments: