Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Real Sounds of Lovers

We had a great time that night
drunk 3:30 A.M. taking short breaks
in between screws
me sniffling in your ear
because I couldn’t find my Afrin nasal spray
and you
with this weird drunk snore
like a cross between Darth Vader
and air escaping from a balloon

Those are the real sounds of lovers
they never say “You mean so much to me”
or “I love you more than life itself”
they say things like “Roll the fuck over”
or “You want another Old Style?”

and I never put anything romantic on in the background
like Miles Davis or Chopin
it was usually the Cubs game
and when we’d finish
I’d lean over and ask you
if Ron Santo got you hot

cus this world’s cruel
and cus soon we’ll be old and unfuckable
and all we’ll have are our memories
of the Cubs blowing it against the Mets
and air escaping from a balloon

This is why
the real sounds of lovers
is the most important thing there is

© 2008 Lee Kitzis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.